Appeals: Pathos, Logos, and Ethos
- To differentiate between three types of appeals
- To consider what effect a specific appeal type has on its audience
- Complete parts I, II, and III with a partner.
- Keep your work in the same Microsoft Word document. Email your document to me (one per group).
- As subject line use 'appeals'. Don't forget to put your names on the document.
Part I: Pathos
1) Use a search engine to search for various websites that are consumer-oriented. Any professional site that sells something will do.
2) Search and scan until you find five prominent slogans features on five different sites. ("Prominent" slogans are those that are strongly associated with that particular brand image or product; for instance, the slogan for Burger King is "Your way, right away, at Burger King now.")
3) Copy and paste these slogans into a Microsoft Word document.
4) Underneath each slogan, describe the target audience, and choose specific emotions that the slogan appeals to.
Part II: Audience-Specific Logos (Values)
1) Choose a group to analyze whose members are likely to share some specific interests and values. Be sure this group is recognized by both you and your partner. Some categories you might choose from (although you don't have to) are:
- Members of a political party
- Members of an interest group
- Members of a consumer demographic
- People who share the same hobby
- People who share the same job
- People who share the same lifestyle
2) In a short paragraph, explain the group's core values.(If you are unsure about this, do online research). Keep your explanation objective and do not use unfavorable language.
1) With your partner, decide on a prominent figure or celebrity (examples are Bill O'Reilly, Kid Rock, and Susan Sarandon).
2) Briefly describe a public argument, campagin, or product that would benefit from his or her endorsement.
3) Conversely, briefly describe a public argument, campaign, or product that would NOT benefit from his or her endorsement.
Adapted from Elizabeth Lomasney
Home | Syllabus