Creating a Web Account on the Purdue Server
These are the instructions that tell you the steps you need to take in order to activate your free webspace on the Purdue server
1) Launch your browser [Netscape is used for the purposes of these directions]
2) In the URL field type: http://ics.purdue.edu. Bookmark the page that opens up.
3) Create a log-in and password if it doesn't accept the one you usually use for logging on in the labs. Then make sure you log in.
4) Once you have logged in, click the "account" tab. It's one of four near the top on the right.
5) Scroll down to the bottom of the account page that opens up and look at where it says, "Manage Files and Folders."
6) Click, "Create my web page."
7) Once your web page is created, you will have created a folder in your home directory labeled "www"--Inside that folder is a file named "index"
8) You will not have to find the folder and file until later but I'm giving you this info in advance so you will know where to find them later.
9) The next thing you need to do is to look again under the place where it says "Manage Files and Folders." Click on the link that says, "Change My Web Page Permissions." If this option is not visible, you may have to hit the "refresh" button in your browser.
10) Once you have clicked on the link, you will be taken to a new page with a gray button that says "Change Permissions." Don't push this button just yet. Bookmark this page so that you can easily access it later.
Written by Andy Marrotta
Home | Syllabus | Blog Instructions